Jobe Bellingham’s father confronts Borussia Dortmund sporting director after half-time substitution

Aug 25, 2025 - 10:28
 0  0
Jobe Bellingham’s father confronts Borussia Dortmund sporting director after half-time substitution

Jobe Bellingham’s dad, Mark, held a heated discussion with Borussia Dortmund’s Sebastien Kehl at the weekend.

The conversation happened at full time after Jobe was hauled off at half-time during the 3-3 draw with St Pauli.

Bellingham’s Bundesliga debut didn’t go to plan

It was a decision that appeared to frustrate Mark and his partner Denise, leading to Mark trying to speak to the sporting director after Niko Kovac decided to replace the England youth international.

Respected German publication BILD report that Mark was unhappy with the decision to take Jobe off and the team’s overall performance.

He also reportedly wanted to speak with Kovac, and Kehl had to issue a public reminder that the dressing room is for staff and players only.

He said: “We are all disappointed about the result yesterday. And still, the active area at our club remains reserved for players, coaches and officials, not families and advisors.

“This will not happen again. We have made this clear to all involved.”

Dortmund‘s managing director Lars Ricken later played down the discussion, but he reaffirmed that parents and representatives wouldn’t be allowed in or near the dressing room.

Speaking to Sky in Germany, he said: ‘We got Jobe Bellingham because we really built a relationship of trust with the parents over the years. Now the family flew in especially for their son’s first Bundesliga game and wanted to meet Jobe after the game.

“They stood in the hallway to the locker room and had an emotional conversation with Sebastien, which, however, is not a problem at all given this relationship.

“In the future though, we will ensure that players, coaches, and any officials have access to the locker room area, so that we no longer get into trouble by commenting on such news. 

“But today everything has been resolved – no drama.”

Getty
Bellingham will be disappointed he was taken off after just 45 minutes against St Pauli[/caption]

And Mark’s actions haven’t gone down well

Former Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill wasn’t too happy.

Speaking on White and Jordan, he said: “It’s ridiculous. It is absolutely ridiculous, it is like a scene from a Saturday morning game in Battersea Park.

“It’s not helping the player as well with his father coming down and remonstrating and then giving instructions.”

Bad start for Bellingham

After completing a £31million move from Sunderland to Dortmund earlier this summer, Bellingham made his Dortmund debut in the Club World Cup.

However, this was his first chance to show what he could do in the Bundesliga, and it was a disappointing debut.

The 19-year-old was only on the pitch for 45 minutes before Kovac replaced him with Felix Nmecha.

The Englishman wasn’t the only man hooked though as Karim Adeyemi also came off for Julian Brandt.

Dortmund were also leading 1-0 at half-time, and if you look at the statistics, it shows that Bellingham just didn’t get that involved in the game.

The Bellingham parents weren’t too happy
Kovac made a couple of changes at half time
Getty

The midfielder completed all 12 of his passes, but he failed to have a shot or take anyone on.

So, it would be fair to say it was a reserved performance from Bellingham.

Meanwhile, for Dortmund, it was also a poor result away from home.

Serhou Guirassy put the visitors 1-0 up before he missed a penalty, allowing Andreas Hountondji to equalise just after half time.

Waldemar Anton and Brandt had the Bundesliga giants 3-1 up with 16 minutes to play before a late collapse saw Daniel Sinani and Eric Smith score in quick succession to ensure Dortmund blew two points.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0